Choosing fire and emergency services as a career can prove to be one of the most interesting and personally satisfying choices you can make. In this ever-changing, complex world, firefighting and emergency medical services is not just another job. It is an employment opportunity that offers a challenging, demanding, exciting and rewarding career for men and women.
Horry County Fire Rescue is a diverse, vibrant and progressive department that includes 40 stations and more than 550 personnel who come from various backgrounds.
New ideas, technology, equipment and training are driving the Department to constantly improve the high level of service we provide to ensure the safety and well-being of the citizens and visitors of Horry County.
Horry County Fire Rescue is committed to finding a diverse group of men and women who are ready, willing and able to respond to the needs of the community. We are looking for people who are driven, motivated and dedicated to public service.
If you’re looking for a demanding, rewarding and exciting career that will provide you with significant personal satisfaction through helping others,
please fill out an application with the Horry County Human Resource Department. HCFR only accepts applications online when the job advertisement is posted.
To apply as a volunteer please visit our Volunteer Recruitment page.
Once your application is received, you will be contacted by email to proceed through the testing process.
The testing process will consist of the following portions:
• A 100-question, general knowledge written exam. Candidates must obtain a 70% to advance. This test is similar to civil service exams
• Candidates passing the written will then advance to the New Hire Job-Related Agility Test (Shorts are not permitted during agility testing)
• Panel interviews will be scheduled after completion of the testing process.
• Human Resources will submit an applicant’s information to a third party evaluator to conduct the criminal background check.
• Candidates passing all testing requirements will take a pre-employment medical physical and drug screen. HCFR follows the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1582 medical guidelines.
• Upon the completion of this process, an eligibility list will be forwarded to the Fire Chief for final selection.